Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Evaluate what you find
Evaluating your sources with the CRAAP Test
Critically appraising your resources before using them is an essential step in the evidence-based practice process. Just because something is published in a peer reviewed journal or on a reputable association website does not mean that the content does not have to be vetted for currency, accuracy and relevance. The CRAAP test stands for: Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, and Purpose - all things you need to consider before using the information you find. Use this worksheet to appraise what you find.
Search strategy 101: Start here
Steps in updating a policy:
- Refer to the C+W Document Development Process for guidance.
- Check PHSA SHOP for any similar recently updated documents.
- Use Elsevier Clinical Skills for step-by-step descriptions of point of care skills and procedures.
- Search the literature for current research using the policy to be updated as a guide:
- Use the references on the original policy as a starting point.
- Start by searching for reviews on your topic in CINAHL or PubMed: systematic reviews, literature reviews, etc. For evidence syntheses, try JBI: Joanna Briggs Institute EBP Database.
- Try a grey literature search for similar clinical guidance: protocols, policies, pathways, evidence bundles in the Trip Database. These will not be indexed in a research database.
- Need more help? Request a Literature Search by the clinical librarian.
Searching for Clinical Practice Guidelines
Trip (limit search to Guidelines under "Evidence Type" on right-hand side)
PubMed (add "practice guideline"[pt] to limit search to the guideline publication type. Eg. autism AND "practice guideline"[pt])
SUMSearch2 (select "Guidelines" filter on Search Results page)
Guideline-specific Databases *please note: this is not an exhaustive list
CPG Infobase (Canadian Medical Association)
RNAO Guidelines (Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario)
CADTH (Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technology in Health)
ECRI Guidelines Trust *note: free membership is required to access.
Looking for C+W or PHSA Policies?
C+W SHOP This link opens in a new window
All clinical support documents for BC Children's Hospital & BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre are now housed on the Shared Health Organizations Platform (SHOP).
SHOP This link opens in a new window
SHOP is the central access point for policies and decision support tools- such as guidelines, clinical procedures, protocols and standards - for Providence Health Care, Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) and Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH).
The Study & Learning Commons (4th floor SHY) is open. Access to the space 24/7 with PHSA ID card. More information on the POD page.
Librarian services are available; please email ClinicalLibrary@cw.bc.ca for assistance.
Leave a voicemail: local 2875
Ask a Librarian:
Study & Learning Commons
F4, Shaughnessy Building
4480 Oak Street